IV LATIN AMERICAN JOURNALISM ON DRUGS AWARD
As part of the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy
Welcome to the fourth edition of the Latin American Journalism on Drugas Award ‘Drug Policies in Latin America’ organized by Intercambios Civil Association of Argentina and supported by Fundación para la Libertad de Prensa, Red-Salud andCosechaRoja in order to encourage journalists from Latin America and the Caribbean to develop ethical and quality coverage of this topic, with respect for human rights.
- Recognize journalists working on this issue with commitment and compelling information.
- Value the role of journalism as a public service in areas where accurate and ethically-presented information is essential to avoid further criminalization, prejudices and repressive policies that undermine democracy.
- Increase awareness and spread ofnon-punitive perspectivesand of public drug policy reform in the region.
- Achieve a greater interest from the Latin American press in drug-related issues, both from a geopolitical perspective and from the perspective of related health and socio-cultural issues.
1st Prize: $1,000USD and full scholarship (travel, lodging and per diem) to attend the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy on September 3 and 4, 2014 in San José, Costa Rica and to attend the Seminar for Journalists that is scheduled on September 2nd as part of the Conference.
2nd Prize: Full scholarship (travel, lodging and per diem) to attend the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy on September 3 and 4, 2014 in San José, Costa Rica and to attend the Seminar for Journalists that is scheduled on September 2 as part of the Conference.
3rd Prize. Diploma and special mention.
- Drugs and health
- Alcohol consumption
- Harm Reduction
- Experiences in treatment
- Drug economy
- Geopolitics of Drugs
- Participantsin drug trafficking
- Criminalization of drug users
- Drugs and culture
- Ancestral/traditional substance use
- Militarization and drugs
- Human rights and drugs
- Drug trafficking and organized crime
- Drugs and political context
- Reform of drug laws
- Substance use and everyday life
- Drug Use: discrimination and stigmatization
- Drugs and gender
Deadline for registration and job submission via the Internet: August 2, 2014
- Participants: journalists who are over 18, who live in Latin America and the Caribbean, who have been published in print media in the region, and who already have their passports or travel documents can participate.
- Journalistic genres: articles of any type of print media (chronicle, special report/article, interview, etc.) that relate to any of the proposed topics.
- Authorship: articles can be individual or collectively-written, as long as the applicant’s name is in the by line. In the case that a collectively-written article is awarded a prize, scholarship (travel, lodging and per diem) to attend the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy will be awarded to one of the authors (to be selected by the authors).
- Dates of publication of the candidate articles: articles must have been published in print or web (newspapers, magazines, fanzines, etc.), in either a commercial or alternative source, between August 1, 2013 and July 25, 2014.
- Language: Spanish or Portuguese.
- Number of articles: each journalist or group of journalists can send one article.
- Publication:The submitted articles will be posted on the website of the Latin American Conference on Drug Policy, which may be accessed by the participants and the general public.
REGISTRATION AND TERMS
Articles can be submitted until August 2 in PDF format, with certification of authorship, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The certification of authorship should be sent on the letterhead of the media outlet and signed by the publisher or an authorized representative and must include:
- Name of author(s)
- Title of the article
- Journalistic genre
- Name of the media outlet where it was published
- Date of publication
- Telephone numberof the author
The journalist will only be formally enrolled in the competition upon receipt via email of the article and certification of authorship. The author will receive an email from the organization confirming receipt of the submission.
The submission of an article does not transfer intellectual property rights. However, submission authorizes the publication of the submitted article on the website of the Latin American Conference on Drug Policy and its dissemination in other print or electronic meansused to promote the Award without any payment or remuneration to the author.
The jury will be composed of three renowned Latin American journalists.
- Narrative and journalistic interest
- Quality of composition
- Original information
- Diversity of sources
- Respectful approach tohuman rights
- Contributes to reflection and debate
- Graphic/visual presentation
PRESENTATION OF AWARDS
The Award Winners will be announced on Tuesday, August 12 online and via email to all of the contestants. The winning entries will be posted on the website of the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy and of the Intercambios Civil Association. The presentation of First and Second Prize to the winners will occur in San Jose, Costa Rica as part of the 5th Latin American and 1st Central American Conference on Drug Policy .